In the past couple of years, San Luis Obispo has been bumping to the tunes of big names in the techno/electronic music world. It seems like every weekend, and weeknight for that matter there is another popular DJ spinning records at an over-advertised party. When Indie-Rock artists Lady Danville, Scars on 45 and Jack’s Mannequin played a show at the Graduate on Tuesday night, students seemed to be confused about what this music was, why there was a piano and why no one was dancing. Take a look (and a listen).
How to Make a Long Distance Relationship Work: 7 Ways to Keep the Spark Alive
The Mustang Daily relationship advice column, Ask Alicia, recently published a story entitled “Long-distance relationships: Romantic or doomed?” essentially explaining that long-distance relationships are dumb and are usually bound to fail.
Alicia Freeman, the highly qualified giver of this relationship advice admits in the first two paragraphs that she herself has never even been in a long-distance relationship. As someone who has been in one (failed) long distance relationship, I am clearly much more qualified, and I am here to tell you that long-distance relationships CAN work. All you have to do is follow these 7 tips.
1. Don’t visit each other. As the old cliche says, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” Seeing your significant other often or at all just makes you want to be with each other more, which is impossible, thanks to the distance.
Also, most long-distance couples who are reunited for a visit also can’t keep their lovey dovey hands off of each other, which is uncomfortable for roommates, cashiers at the grocery store, professors, pastors and the guy at the bookstore who yells “GET A ROOM!” as you’re straddling each other in the chemistry section.
2. When you talk on the phone, make sure to tell each other every single detail of your day. There is nothing more exciting than hearing that your love-bucket had to use the 1% milk at Starbucks this morning because the non-fat canister was empty but they were in a hurry so they didn’t have time for the barista (who’s name was Steven with a ‘v’ and not a ‘ph’ and looked really familiar but they’re not sure from where) to refill the non-fat canister and it nearly ruined their day. The only thing better than hearing every minute detail that has no relevence to you, is hearing EVERY detail EVERY day.
3. Use technology to your advantage. Constantly text and call each other to the point where you literally don’t have time for anything else. You used to have to wait days for mail to go back and forth, but with texting, picture messaging, iMessaging, BBM, AIM, Hey Tell, phone calls, Facebook messages, Facebook wall posts, Facebook tags, Twitter, You Tube and Skype, you can utilize ALL these communication mediums at the same time and never spend a second apart! This works especially well with long-distance relationships in college, because you won’t even have time to do those other cool things or meet all those other awesome people who might distract you from your true love!
4. Make the other person remember how great you are. Sometimes when you’re apart from your significant other for a while, they can forget why it is they fell in love with you in the first place. Don’t just send them flowers or beer to remind them, TELL THEM. Communication is key in relationships, so tell them about all those girls that were trying to hook up with you at the party last night, or how your new guy friend you had lunch with told you how beautiful you were. They need to appreciate what they have!
5. Don’t just talk, DO something while you talk! Couples that do together, stay together. Try Skyping your boyfriend and bringing him with you to dinner in the cafeteria with your roommates. Or maybe bring your virtual girlfriend to the bathroom with you while you go number 2 instead of that issue of Cosmo you found laying around. It’s like you two are practically together!
6. Send care packages. Everyone likes mail, so try sending a package with some of these items sure to win them over:
- a jumbo ball and chain
- the Ex Voodoo Knife Set
- Screw You Corkscrew
- a padded bra
- a cactus
- clinical strength deodorant
- a scale
7. Don’t be faithful all the time. This is the single most important tip to keeping sparks in your relationship. If your lover thinks you may be with someone else, they WILL want you more. Everyone has seen that someone who isn’t very good looking and blow them off, and then you see them the next day with that smokin’ babe and they look a whole lot more interesting. The same principal works in long distance relationships.
The Hoof Talk On the Streets
The Hoof sat down with field reporter, superstar, and Cal Poly student, Cornish Pastries, to find out how he finds time to sleep while constantly investigating and reporting on Cal Poly’s most important news stories and maintaining a stardom lifestyle to the likes of Charlie Sheen. He answered with only one short word, “Naps.” We walked around campus to get a first hand view of the locations of these naps, and snapped photos of Pastries himself recreating the scenes. Click the beds on the map below to find some useful tips and interesting stories.
What are you going to be for Halloween? Don’t tell me you’re one of those people who “don’t believe” in dressing up. We’ve heard all the excuses; I’m too old, I don’t have any ideas, I’m broke, I’m way too cool. Where’s the fun in that? This is college, and your Halloween costumes (we all know Halloween isn’t just one night anymore, it’s an entire weekend) are crucial. The Hoof has put together this list of costumes that includes cheap and easy ideas for just about everyone and their mothers.
If you want to look provocative:
We’ve all been there. We want to be in the Halloween spirit, but we also want to look sexy enough to make some jaws drop. In the 2004 movie mean girls, Lindsay Lohan’s protagonist Cady makes the observation that Halloween is the one night a year when girls have an excuse to dress provocatively and “no other girls can say anything.” So ladies? Here’s a few ideas:
- Sexy Pumpkin (Because what’s sexier than a pumpkin…?)
- Sexy Sponge Bob Square Pants (Ruining childhood memories, one square mini-skirt at a time.)
- Sexy Mother Teresa (Naughty AND nice, anyone?)
Some other sexy ideas:
- Sexy bus driver
- Sexy French maid
- Sexy French fry
- Sexy prostitute
- Sexy hobo
- Sexy Ketchup bottle
- Sexy menorah
- Sexy Musty the Mustang
- Naked (It’s only a matter of time before one friend tries to out-slut the other.)
If you don’t care what you look like as long as it isn’t G-rated:
You’re that guy. You love attention, you love to party, and you think a giggle and an eye roll from one of the aforementioned girls looking at your costume will get you exactly what you want. And you’re probably right. Try these on for size:
Plug and Socket Couples Costume (This one is sure to shock a crowd.)
A Sex Organ (Ew, why do these costumes exist?)
If you’re too cool and ironic to dress up:
Halloween was so 4th grade. And even then, you were too cool to dress up. You’re so over this. Now you’re conflicted because you’re too cool for a costume, but it would be so ironic to dress up, which would actually increase your level of cool. Thankfully stores that are so trendy that they’re mainstream like Urban Outfitters and American Apparel know exactly how you feel. Check it:
- This is My Costume Halloween tee (Get it? Because you’re too awesome to dress up.)
- Nudist On Strike (Get it? You STILL don’t have to dress up. So ironic.)
- World’s longest beard (Because what hipster doesn’t love a good beard?)
If you think you’re really punny:
Every costume is way too cliche. You don’t want to be a cat, a super hero or a cast member from Jersey Shore. You have to gain respect with your intellectual friends while still having a good time and embracing your inner nerd spirit. Here are some ideas:
- A gold-digger (Wear all gold and carry a shovel. Kanye has a song about it, so you know it’s awesome.)
- A Drag Queen (Print out a picture of the Queen of England and attach it to a piece of cardboard. Tie the cardboard to your leg with rope, and let her drag on the floor behind you. So creative.)
- A One Night Stand (No really, a night stand. Hah.)
If you want to be “that one a$$ hole” at the party:
There’s always one. That guy who’s costume is just a little too far over the edge, but at the same time it’s the only one people remember in the morning. It may be offensive and not entirely P.C., but you’re guaranteed a reaction. And probably at least one drink poured on your head.
- Muammar Gaddafi (Everyone’s favorite deposed supreme psycho dictator.)
- A Republican Presidential Candidate (Put on a suit, an American flag pin and walk around saying whatever is on your mind. Who knows, you might even end up an actual candidate!)
THE HOOF TALK ON THE STREET
What are you going to be for Halloween?
Vodpod videos no longer available.
CAL POLY SLO, CA- In what has been dubbed “the most shocking Greek scandal since the Fourth Crusade” by the Cal Poly President, the Student Life and Leadership office revealed Wednesday that ‘Greek life‘ members may have been involved in an after-school activity in which alcohol was present.
“If the allegations are true, this is an outrage,” said Greek life president Bo Ozy, “This type of reckless, embarrassing behavior will not be tolerated among college students, and especially not those in fraternities and sororities.”
Ozy has ordered a full investigation into this and any other rumored cases of alcohol being present at Greek events.
The investigation comes after a tip given to campus administration from a “concerned student” who happened to be walking on Hathway Avenue with some friends around 11:30 pm Wednesday night and passed by a house associated with a fraternity.
According to the eyewitness reports from students looking into the house through a crack in the blinds, the students in question were standing at opposite ends of a long table with red cups on it, throwing little white balls at each other.
“A ball went into one of the cups and the student proceeded to lift the cup to his mouth and drink from it,” said an eyewitness who wished to remain anonymous for his personal safety.
“There are many levels of concern regarding this incident,” said Director of Student Life and Leadership Stephen Sheep.
One concern raised during the investigation, according to Sheep, has been the possibility of a sorority present at the fraternity house. If the alcohol allegations are true, this would mean that students of both sexes were consuming the alcohol together.
According to the Cal Poly Greek life policy on co-ed meetings, “any outside-of-school activity in which there are both males and females present at the same time must gain approval by the board prior to the event.”
Neither fraternity or sorority in question would respond to The Hoof’s attempts to contact for comment.
While the investigation is under way, the entire Greek system has been ordered to cease and desist all activities. The judicial hearing, which is scheduled for this Friday, will determine the responsibility of the Greek system and the university’s subsequent actions.
“I just want to protect the clean and safe reputation of the Greek community, and maybe get invited to an outside-of-school activity every once in a while…” the anonymous eyewitness said.
Cal Poly officials intend to release the findings of the investigation within one week.